European Lowcost Airline ,Norwegian Air Shuttle´ starts flights in Argentina

The airline is known for its distinctive livery of white with a red nose, with individual portraits of noteworthy Scandinavians on the aircraft’s tain fin./Image: Nowegian Air Shuttle

Low-cost airline Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA will begin operating flights in Argentina beginning in late 2017, a spokesman said Dec. 16th , as more air travel operators seek a foothold in Latin America’s No. 3 economy.

The company plans to open two or three operating bases and begin passenger flights by November. It already has begun the relevant regulatory processes. Spokesman Alfons Claver did not say which routes the airline plans to run but expects to have bases in Buenos Aires, Cordoba and possibly Mendoza. “South America is a very interesting market characterized by little competition and high prices,” Claver said in a statement. He said

Continue reading “European Lowcost Airline ,Norwegian Air Shuttle´ starts flights in Argentina” »

Ryanair: overall expansion plans

Der Geschaeftsfuehrer der irischen Billigfluggesellschaft Ryanair, Michael O'Leary, posiert am Mittwoch (09.05.12) auf dem Flughafen Frankfurt-Hahn in Lautzenhausen auf einer Pressekonferenz der Fluggesellschaft mit einem Flugzeugmodell. Die Billigfluglinie Ryanair kritisiert die EU-Beihilfeverfahren gegen regionale Flughaefen in Deutschland als "Feldzug". Der Vorwurf illegaler oeffentlicher Finanzhilfen fuer die Airport-Betreiber, von denen Ryanair profitiere, sei falsch, sagte Ryanair-Chef Michael O'Leary am Mittwoch in Lautzenhausen. (zu dapd-Text) Foto: Harald Tittel/dapd
Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary/Image Harald Tittel

The Ryanair Holdings PLC on November 7th lifted its outlook for long-term passenger growth and nonticket sales. Ryanair said it now expects to carry 200 million passengers a year by March 2024, or 20 million more than previously projected.

The airline expects to gain customers through expansion and retrenchment of other airlines in the face of stiff competition. Sales for the July-to-September period, traditionally the busiest for the airline, advanced 2% to €2.4 billion.  The Irish carrier said its board had approved a €550 million share-repurchase program, the airline’s eighth, to be carried out through February 2017. Continue reading “Ryanair: overall expansion plans” »

Alitalia seeking agreement with Etihad-Lufthansa

Flying higher by the end of the year?/Image: Alitalia

Preliminary negotiations between the management of the Italian company and the German carrier to involve it in a recapitalization of up to €400m. Alitalia’s new route to becoming a high flyer once again could be drawn by the end of the year by taking on board one of the world’s biggest carriers, Lufthansa, which has expressed interest several times in the past eight years.

An Alitalia CAI board meeting, chaired by Luca di Montezemolo, was scheduled at the NCTM law offices in Rome. CAI is the company that combines the 13 Italian partners plus Air France KLM (7.08%) that, through Midco, controls 51% of Alitalia Sai, with Etihad owning the other 49%.
The sexiest company in Europe?

According to the reconstruction by Il Messaggero, the meeting should focus on the plans for the airline’s relaunch, on which work is ongoing as a result of the company’s precarious health. A way out might be identified in the dialogue Continue reading “Alitalia seeking agreement with Etihad-Lufthansa” »

Rescuing the arch-rival?

Image: Lufthansa

German national carrier Lufthansa is in talks to rescue its arch-rival Air Berlin, ,Handelsblatt´ has learned. Europe‘s biggest airline is negotiating with Gulf carrier Etihad, Air Berlin‘s biggest shareholder with a stake of just under 30 percent, to acquire parts of the struggling airline that has been making losses for the past 10 years.

Image: Air Berlin

According to Handelblatt Etihad has shored up Air Berlin with credit of several hundred million euros in the past. But Germany‘s second-largest airline has kept on hemorrhaging money because it overreached itself with its ambition to be a premium carrier, budget and charter airline all in one. Lufthansa appears to be interested in taking over all Air Berlin routes that don‘t go via the hubs in Düsseldorf or Berlin, as well as around 40 leased aircraft including their crews.

The planes could join the fleet of Lufthansa‘s budget subsidiary Eurowings. The talks are scheduled to be completed by October at the latest. Up to now the three companies declined to comment.

If the deal happens, Air Berlin chief executive Stefan Pichler could Continue reading “Rescuing the arch-rival?” »